Apr 21, 2011

A Bumpy Road...Ava's Pregnancy. Part 1

I was hoping I might not get as sick as my other pregnancies this time. I almost made it to my first appointment at 8 weeks. But at about 6 1/2 weeks the full sickness hit me. Head on! I just woke up throwing up one morning and pretty much didn't  stop til a few days later when I got my meds... again. 

We waited to tell everyone til after the 8 wk ultrasound again. Except for a select few.



This is How we told...



 My pregnancy with Ava was so different.  It was much tougher on me than my other girls. (which at first made me think it could be a boy) I was even sicker this time...if you can believe it got worse!

I had my meds, but they didn't really work that well. My midwife doubled the dose and they still only took the edge off.  I spent most days feeling like I was starving hungry, but the thought of any kind of food was disgusting and nauseating. Even when I forced myself to eat something, I'd feel super sick and end up throwing up anyway. 

Throwing up all day every day is really draining, I was exausted!  I could hardly function.  Joey and I often went to batle over things not being done.  I was miserable, pregnancy takes a huge toll on me, and this time was bad.  I tried my best to take care of my two little girls, and keep things in order.  Some days were harder than others, but getting them to take a nap was key, if I could get a rest in...I could function somewhat ok in the evening. I found that with the medecine I could eat certain things if I felt like them, and it helped me not to feel as sick. I was very thankful for being able to eat something even if it wasn't a lot.

In the meantime, we had been saving up for Australia for some time. Since we knew when I'd be due now, and that it would be condusive to the timeframe for the good deal, we booked our tickets for August. I know I know, I said I'd never do it again. I guess I'm a sucker for trips to Australia...it's almost like I love going there...and love the people or something...  haha

In May I went to a Dr apt with my sister, where she found out that the baby had stopped growing. She was about 29 weeks along, but the baby was only measuring 25weeks.  That coupled with the fact that the dr freaked her out saying the baby's head was too big, was too much. She went into the hospital that night to find she had high blood pressure...and was heading into pre-ecclampsia.  I spent days and nights camped out in a chair at the hospital with her, explaining everything to her in terms she'd understand, and in ways that wouldn't freak her out. 

This is the girl that would graze her knee and think she was gonna die...I talked her through everything, and tried to reassure her it would be ok. I really trusted  that it would be. After being with her for days, I could tell when her blood pressure was getting too high, seeing the signs I asked them to take it even thugh they planned on waiting til morning.  They said they would wait. So mum and I deided to both stay that night. We had taken turns on other days. At about 7am they came and checked her blood pressure, it was something like 190/110 I just about fell on the floor! She was prepped for a c-section, ASAP. I spent this time trying to reassure mum, even though inside if I let myself I probably would have been freaking out.

As soon as Maya was born I went out of the room with her, mum stayed with Alyce.  I remember her being SO tiny! They were trying to get her to breathe. At that point, it all hit me.  What if she doesn't breathe, I could watch her die right here. I cried out to God. God, PLEASElet her breathe, please let her be ok, please breathe, please breathe. ...And then she squeaked.  I'll never forget that sound!! Thankyou Lord!  We took her to the NICU, and then I was able to go see Alyce. When she was born she weighed only 1lb. 9oz. I spent many weeks back and forth visitng, but she was totally covered by God's hand. She has been blessed with life, and is now almost 1 year old! I love my Maya bear and will always treasure her. I gave her that nickname, because she always growled when she was first born.




In May I had a wonderful visit from a wonderful friend...so thankful for you Susan...will have to elaborate on our adventures some other time, oh boy did we have fun!


We went to Old town Sacramento...



 The kids played...


We traveled to San Fransisco... 






We traveled to South Lake Tahoe...

Where we got locked out of the car...



In a snowstorm...




After Hot drinks and Cinnamon rolls, we speed shopped and got out of there...just in time...





We had a photo shoot in the Downtown Rose Garden...





Susan saw Maya...



It was a wonderful visit!

Anyway, I continued through the Pregnancy, but I struggled.  Joey even suggested we may have to be done having kids after this. So, for anyone that knows us, knows for him to say this, it was tough.  I had secretly hoped for twin boys, so I could be done with one pregnancy. I love kids, but pregnancy really kicks my butt!



On June 22nd, we went for our 20week ultrasound.  I had been telling Joey "it's gonna be a girl" just because I thought since everyone was so sure it was going to be a boy, that we'd get in there and they'd say it was a girl. I was prepared either way. 

We chit-chatted with the tech while she checked everything out.  This was the first time we had to wait til the end to find out the sex.  She knew we had two girls already... 
The time came and she got the perfect "leg view" I could easily tell by now that it was a girl, only it sounded like the tech said, "Well it's not a girl." I said, "what? it's not a girl" and she said, " no it is a girl." She had said, "well it's another girl" haha TOTALLY threw me off.

Then she did something none of the other techs had done before for us. She got a nice profile view, and she held the wand there. She just let us watch as our girl moved around. She looked like she was ready to box. I also remember pointing out the umbilical cord, how we could see it in such great detail and it looked perfect, smooth and a little twisty just how it should be. All was well with our baby girl.  We didn't do any extra tests, we hadn't had them with our other girls.  We always agreed there was no point.  If the baby had any "abnormalities" that wouldn't change our "options" we would never kill our baby!! 


We went out to the waiting room where Kyah and Savannah were waiting with Nana and Alyce.  We told them it was a girl. Kyah was SO excited!! She had said all along it was a girl.  We went to the Park with the kids and got $1 slushies to celebrate. We're having a girl...


No comments:

Post a Comment